Web dating canberra Hot and fast cam chat room
The indigenous population of the district declined to less than a hundred by 1840.
In stark comparison, by 1851 there were about 2,500 European people living in the area.
Smith and Cunningham also penetrated further south, into what is now called the Tuggeranong Valley.
It was estimated by Robertson that prior to European settlement starting in 1824, depending on the season there were about 300-400 Aboriginals living in the Molonglo, Queabeyan, Canberra, Namadgi region.
A flock of sheep was driven onto the property in December 1824 by the overseer John Mc Laughlin.
He built a slab hut on what is now called Acton Peninsula. A creek that ran through the middle of the property originating from the side of Mount Ainslie was named Canberry Creek.
Apart from a few employed on stations Aboriginals disappeared by the 1860s with most moving to the better hunting grounds of land near the Cooma and Tumut districts.
A few from the Sutton, Hall and Fairlight localities moved north to Yass.
Archaeological evidence of settlement in the region includes inhabited rock shelters, rock paintings and engravings, burial places, camps and quarry sites, and stone tools and arrangements.Major John Ovens and Captain Mark Currie (1823), and Allan Cunningham (1824).All four expeditions explored the course of the Limestone now Molonglo River that is now the site of Lake Burley Griffin.On 12 October 1828, a deed for a further 1,000 acres (400 ha) to the west was issued to Moore in consideration of £250.Moore was always an absentee landlord and took no interest in running the property.