Sex dating with no charges
He was music director for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's summer residency at the Ravinia Festival from 1973 to 1993, and was to begin a term next summer as conductor laureate.The Ravinia Festival, north of Chicago, this week cut all ties with him amid the allegations.“That report shined a light on what can only be described as deplorable behavior.And while the university’s investigation included a handful of new interviews, the information elicited was not significantly different from the information presented to this office following a thorough investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department.“Because the university’s process is continuing with appeals, we believe it would be inappropriate to comment further.” The original incident occurred Sept. A 22-year-old female student had sexual encounters with multiple players and one high school recruit at an apartment party.The prolonged incident included at least 10 males having sexual contact with her while players lined up outside the room to watch, listen or wait their turn, according to investigations by Minneapolis police and the university."At the conclusion of the investigation, considering the specific conduct disclosed by the complainant, the age of the complainant at the time, all of the evidence in the case, and the applicable law ...it is our decision that no criminal charges can be brought," it said.
As a result, our decision not to bring charges remains unchanged.The one-page statement notes the statutory age of consent in Illinois at the time of the alleged abuse was 16, though the state has since raised it to 17 and to 18 in cases where the accused was in a position of trust or authority over the victim."We are bound to apply the law that was in effect at the time the allegations occurred rather than the law as it currently exists," the statement says.The decision by prosecutors comes days after published interviews with three men who said the 74-year-old Levine, among the most prominent classical music conductors in the world, had sexually abused them when they were teenagers. Levine, who the New York-based opera suspended following those reports, has denied the allegations."As understandably troubling as the accusations noted in recent press accounts are, they are unfounded," Levine said Thursday in a statement first published by the Times.Earlier this week, prosecutors confirmed to The Associated Press the investigation was still active.The accuser, who at the time was hoping for a career in music, told police the conductor had invited him to audition for him in New York and then encouraged him to engage in sexual "experimentation." He said his relationship with Levine extended well into adulthood and that the composer gave him money over the years when he was having financial problems. Cleary, a partner at the Proskauer Rose law firm, to investigate the accusations against Levine as it weighs his future."My fervent hope is that in time people will come to understand the truth, and I will be able to continue my work with full concentration and inspiration," Levine said in his statement.