Dating books printing history broken plates
The Garratt family lived in one of the houses on the right, and Jack could remember the factory before Sun Engraving acquired it in 1919.
The houses, built in 1914, were the first in Watford to have electricity.
(From the Sun archives) Photo The Cylinder Depository, c.1930.
The match was against the watch factory (later Rembrandt House). Blenkarn papers) Photo Another comic football team. The original caption of this picture (photographer unknown) reads: 'Richard André, c.1910.
Ltd, Milford Lane, London; top left: André & Sleigh Ltd, Bushey, soon to be purchased by Anglo Engraving and renamed André Sleigh & Anglo Ltd; bottom: Menpes Printing & Engraving Co., Whippendell Road, Watford, soon to be purchased by Sun Engraving, at which time the factory would be expanded to accommodate all these companies at the same location. Sun gravure machine minder Jack Garratt recalled that the Watford Observer ran this photo around 1922, with the comment that it was not a picture of a battlefield in Flanders.
It is an early photo of Whippendell Road as seen from the Hagden Lane junction, with the Jones/Menpes factory on the left.
It was to be the last staff dinner before the sale of the firm to Edward Hunter's Anglo Engraving.
On the cover is 'Our Village', the reproduction of an 1890 painting by Bushey artist Hubert von Herkomer.