The Community Chest organizations (primarily local United Ways) were assigned campaigns privileges during the fall, the National Health Agencies and the International Service Agencies were assigned a campaign period in the spring, and the American Red Cross (where it had not consolidated its fundraising efforts with the local Community Chest) was permitted a separate campaign during the spring.
This was a giant step in simplifying and systematizing fundraising in the federal service.
The first participating charitable organizations were: President Eisenhower further formalized the administration of the program by Executive Order 10728 of September 6, 1957.
The Executive Order placed it under the supervision of a Presidential Committee, staffed by the Civil Service Commission.
In 1964, the first "combined" campaigns, officially called "Combined Federal Campaigns, or CFC" were conducted as experiments in six cities, consolidating all drives into one.
Agencies, charities, and employees were all ill-used and dissatisfied.As it developed, however, there continued to be dissatisfaction with the expense and disruptive influence of multiple campaigns.It also remained true that receipts continued to be low in relation to the proportion of time and energy devoted to the various campaigns.Campaigns were often not organized with vigor and enthusiasm and, with the exception of United Way campaigns, were dependent upon cash donations handled through an envelope distribution system.While the United Way campaigns solicited pledges as well as one-time cash contributions, all contributions were paid directly by the employee to the voluntary agency. By 1961, President Kennedy had determined that the program was well-enough established that the President's Committee on Fund Raising within the federal service could be abolished. Macy, Jr., Chairman of the Civil Service Commission, by Executive Order 10927.